Monday, December 27, 2010

December 22nd, 2010

I needed to make a big batch of Bolognese sauce for the baked pasta and braciole for our Christmas meal.  I don’t think I’ve ever made a pasta sauce the same.  I don’t measure or use the same amounts of ingredients and it especially varies in the summer if I have lots of herbs and tomatoes to use up.  I only bought a pound of lean beef for a big batch, so I decided to add more carrots and mushrooms to even it out.  I also started it with a little pancetta I had in the freezer.

DSC09957

DSC09958

Added two diced onions and 5 cloves of garlic.  Then pureed mushrooms, carrots, and celery.

DSC09962

DSC09963

Add to sauce, sauté, add meat, brown, then add a couple glugs of red wine until it evaporates.  To that I added 3 big cans of crushed tomatoes, good amount of salt and pepper.  My rule of thumb is however many pounds of pasta I plan on cooking, I add one big can of crushed tomatoes and it works out every time.

DSC09964And there’s the sauce.

DSC09965

In the big boy pot.  Apparently I finished cooking it at precisely 3:50 pm and the oven was at 167 degrees.  Good to know!

I had the oven on to bake some buns with some leftover dough I had in the frig.  Trent was still in KC and wouldn’t be back until around 8 pm.

DSC09967

So the girls had the buns with peanut butter and honey, some apple, and craisins.  Peanut butter and honey is pretty huge in our house. 

DSC09968

I had leftover spinach and artichoke pizza.  It’s pretty rare for me to cook dinner if Trent’s not home.  I don’t know why that it, but normally it’s just a night where I open the frig and pick random things to go on a plate.  It can get pretty interesting.  Back in the day when I lived by myself, my go to for dinner if there wasn’t anything worthy in the frig was a banana…with peanut butter and honey of course.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...