Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 7th, 2011

I absolutely love the growing season.  Going out to the garden to harvest vegetables and herbs makes me very happy.

IMG_0213

Because of the cool and long spring, we have had a ton of broccoli.  And I planted it just to see what happens not expecting to yield much.  It’s still going and going and going.  Energizer Bunny Broccoli.

IMG_0216

Another success was the peas this spring.  I planted peas last spring and fall and yielding NOTHING like this season.  We’ve had meals and meals involving the spring peas.  They were so good.  In fact, Tuesday night Trent had the last of the peas in his salad.  I pulled all peas up last week, had to make room for the summer star, tomatoes.

IMG_0201

IMG_0189

Your honor, I’d like to submit these 2 pictures as Exhibit A and B to further highlight there were many, many peas.

IMG_0215

Something I’ve never tried before, brussel sprouts.  We’ll see how that goes!  Oh, and a random tomato plant amongst the brussel sprouts.  Classy!

IMG_0217

The lettuce went so crazy I had to start planting tomato plants in the middle of the lettuce.  I’d harvest some lettuce and throw a tomato plant down in its place.  Not the organized garden look I wanted, but so far it’s working.

IMG_0218

IMG_0219

IMG_0221

Basil, potato flower, and cabbage, oh my!

If you remember the cabbage debacle from last year, no worries. I only put in 2 plants this year.

IMG_0220

I go through quite a few onions, so I’m hoping when I pull those plants up big onions appear.

Trent’s been working on the lawn this year.  He’s trying to whip it into shape, get rid of weeds, and seeding.  He put the sprinkler on to help along some grass seed.  Enter 2 little girls who love water.

IMG_0171

IMG_0172

IMG_0177

IMG_0180

IMG_0181

And scene.

1 comment:

Trent said...

Peas, peas, and then some more peas! Last year I joked that we could stock Dierbergs with all of the tomatoes that grew but this year I think the honor definitely goes to peas!

But I'm not complaining - they were great!

Oh, and the grass is looking pretty good in those pictures! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...