Monday, September 7, 2009

September 6th, 2009

Around 2:00 pm we arrived back in Saint Louis from our fun Kansas City trip. At 4:30 I realized I have to figure out dinner for tonight, especially while Sydney was still taking her nap and I had a child free hip to chop. I decided on a grill meal since it's labor day weekend and the weather was nice, so the kids could play outside while I was cooking. I'm all about letting them burn off energy, especially after 8 hours in the car this weekend. Trent just recently started liking fish, so I take advantage of that when I can, because I absolutely love it and it defrosts in our kitchen sink in 10 minutes. I grilled tilapia fillets (salt, pepper, lemon juice) and corn (salt, peppper, and aluminum foil, which Lauren helped shuck...hee hee, that's a funny word). I also put together a spinach salad (hard boiled egg, bacon, and baby spinach with a sweet dressing ), it's a retro favorite of mine. My parents dropped off a cantaloupe and watermelon from my Uncle Dan's farm, so I cut up the cantaloupe too for the girls (not reminding them they don't like cantaloupe...and they ate it, small victory for Jenny, I'm hoping it'll work for the watermelon too). I put the tilapia on sesame seed buns with my go to sauce (equal parts mayo, horseradish, and dijon mixed up). The corn, buns, and eggs were from our CSA that I split with my sister www.fairshares.org. I love meals where I use up our CSA produce because it goes bad quickly and it's so fresh and yummy I don't want it to go to waste. Wasting food is a huge pet peeve of mine, I'm the daughter of a daughter of a daughter of a depression survivoring farmer and it gets less with each generation, but I'm still annoyingly adamant. My husband's a keeper for dealing with that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...