Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 22nd, 2010

I have a huge confession to make.  I rarely follow recipes.  It’s not a good habit, but it’s what I do.  I blame my Grandma Coco, who viewed a recipe as a suggestion.  Unlike me, her results were always delicious.  When I cook, I’m have no qualms about swerving off the path.  But it’s downright risky behavior when baking and I’ve got the stories and oven messes to prove it.  I’m trying to get better about it, really I am. 

I make spaghetti sauce at least 3 times a month and don’t think I’ve ever made the same one.  It depends what meat was on sale, what herbs I’ve got around, if there’s a bottle of red wine open to put in the sauce, what type of pasta I’m using, or if tomatoes are in season.  So Monday I made a basic sauce with no bells and whistles.  You’re welcome to try it and encouraged to change it.

DSC06264

Heat up your sauce pan and add ground beef to brown (anywhere from 3/4 to 1 pound).  Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and break it up as you brown it.  Once it’s caramelized, add one big diced onion, 4 cloves minced garlic, and 2 finely diced carrots.  Once veggies soften (5 minutes), add one big can of crushed tomatoes.  Stir it all together and add more salt and pepper to taste and a teaspoon of sugar.  Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer on the stove for 30 minutes to all afternoon.  It’s the perfect amount of sauce for a pound of your favorite pasta, which serves 4 adults.  Generously sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pour yourself a big glass of wine!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...