Monday, May 10, 2010

April 29th, 2010

My mom was raised on a tobacco farm, so the farming gene is in the family.  I think that’s why shucking is one of Lauren’s favorite things to help me with in the kitchen.  She loves shucking corn…I just wish she also loved eating it…what kid doesn’t like corn?  Mine.

DSC07335

She’s teaching Sydney how to shuck away.  Sydney was a fan too, but she will happily participate in anything that involves getting to stand on a chair.

DSC07336

When I was in the 4th grade I got braces and had them for 4 years.  The orthodontist gave me a list of things I could not eat so I wouldn’t damage anything and corn on the cob was one of those.  For whatever reason, I still slice the corn off the cob when I eat it.  I guess I just got used to it that way.  I read in Real Simple a couple years ago that a bundt cake pan is perfect for getting corn off the cob.  It really is.  (I can never say the word Bundt without thinking of that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the mom exclaiming “There’s a hole in this caaaake!” and then she puts a potted geranium in the hole.)

DSC07342

DSC07344

For dinner I made chicken bratwurst with sauerkraut and roasted corn and asparagus.  This is actually Trent’s plate because of the insane amount of mustard on it. 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...