Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 21st, 2010

It was all a whirlwind I should have seen coming.  Kirk and Sally came into town for the weekend.  They got to St. Louis on Friday afternoon and we had a great evening.  I made Panini's, salad, and french fries for dinner and we all had a fun evening of hanging out at the house.  The next morning I wanted to show Kirk a little corner garden I had next to our composters that I wanted to redo.  I wanted ideas on a nicer boarder than the old wire white fence I had.  I also wanted to pull up all the plants and redo it.  I did the garden the spring we moved into the house and didn’t realize it should have been a shade garden, so the plants weren’t too happy and the weeds happily took over.  A nice simple afternoon project outside is what I had in mind.  Then I asked the fatal words, “Kirk, what would you do?” 

DSC08849  This is what he did (with much help from Trent and a little from me).  The garden was on the left corner, we are talking maybe 15 square feet.  Now it’s about 270 square feet and it’s pretty amazing.  It all happened so quickly I didn’t think to take a before picture.  I’m still mad at myself about that.  But I can’t wait to finish the drainage system and plant stuff!

DSC08853

We (meaning Trent) have to bury the drainage pipe for the rain off the roof.  Then dirt, then raking, then planting!

DSC08856

The girls kept finding caterpillars and were immersed into everything caterpillar for the afternoon.

I am really excited about the new garden and very thankful I have an energetic and all knowing father in law who likes to make our home and yard pretty and a mother in law who enjoys spending time with the girls while Kirk’s vision is becoming reality. 

Kirk and Sally left on Monday early afternoon and I spend the rest of the afternoon raking, admiring, and mentally planning the garden….then the back pains from the weekend’s antics started, but it was beyond worth it.

 

1 comment:

Trent said...

Well as Dad would say - if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...