Tuesday, August 3, 2010

July 29th, 2010

Garden inspired dinner!  I had a couple things I needed to harvest and planned dinner around them.

DSC08644

My first eggplant, yippee!

DSC08645

I also had a couple potatoes that were on top of the dirt, so I snatched those up.  I also had a yellow squash that I picked waaaaaay to late, the skin was really think and bumpy, like a pumpkin.  Is that normally what happens if you don’t pick the squash young or am I prematurely harvesting a butternut squash?  I had everything labeled, but the permanent marker isn’t so permanent in outdoor elements.  Which that situation was the same way with clothes.

I had defrosted some chicken bratwurst from Trader Joe’s and had some lentils and bread on hand.

DSC08646

roasted the squash and eggplant (ended up having to peel the squash after roasting, skin was too tough).

DSC08647

Put a tomato relish on top of the chicken bratwurst and tossed the cooked lentils with the squash, eggplant, and herbs.  Made some honey butter for the bread for the kids because everything is better with butter.

DSC08649

Girls dinner, they both loved the bratwurst, tolerated the lentils, and Lauren went to town on her bread (Sydney’s not a huge bread fan, little weirdo).  Thank you garden for all your continued treats!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...