Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 11th, 2010

Back in the day I remember Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup was in everything.  Green Bean Casserole to Tuna Noodle Casserole.  It was basically a staple in any thing labeled “casserole.”  I am not a huge, huge fan of mushrooms, nor am I a fan of canned soup, so you will not find Cream of Mushroom soup in our pantry.  I basically wrote off any recipe that included cream of mushroom soup (except Sally’s green bean casserole, now that just screams nostalgic childhood memories).  In my late 20’s I worked at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant at the St. Louis Art Museum.  They were open for dinner only on Fridays and it was always a favorite shift of mine because it was mellow, the food was fancier, and the tips were way better.  I worked at Puck’s until May 29th, 2005 and then gave birth to Lauren June 5, 2005, so I worked through my whole pregnancy.  Let me tell you firsthand that working at a restaurant, a tasty restaurant at that, for 7 shifts a week pregnant did not fare well for me.  I ate anything and everything with no shame.  I was eating for 2 right?  So one Friday night shift the chefs put out the soup de jour for all the servers to taste and it was cream of mushroom soup.  I was pregnant, I was hungry, I didn’t even hear what it was before my spoon went in that bowl and it was HEAVENLY!  No offense to Mr. Campbell, but this soup was incredible with an earthy rich flavor.  I forgot about that soup at Puck’s until I was paging through Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine and saw a low fat version of Cream of Mushroom Soup.  The picture

Cream of Mushroom Soup

looked just like that soup from Puck’s and I ripped it out and then made it for dinner (changed it a little, but not too much).  Trent was shocked because he LOVES mushrooms and knows I’m not that into them, much less making something with mushrooms as the main ingredient.

DSC08955

So there it is.  Trent loved it, Sydney liked it, Lauren didn’t like it, and I was so so about it.  It really didn’t taste like the soup from Puck’s.  I have a feeling making a healthy version with fat free greek yogurt wasn’t what the chef’s at Pucks did, which is why I’m still trying to lose the weight I gained from being pregnant with Lauren….darn those chefs and their butter and cream ways (oh but everything tasted so good!)! 

DSC08957

My tomato bruschetta with basil and chives was delicious though!  All from the garden and so fresh!  I’m going to miss the simple pleasure of going out to the garden and picking ingredients come November, so for now, I’m taking full advantage!

1 comment:

Trent said...

MMMMmmmmmmm mushrooms...

think Homer Simpson saying mmmmmm beeeeer..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...