Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 20th, 2010

Twas the day before Sydney’s 3rd Birthday brunch and Michelle, Jon, and the kids were supposed to arrive in the afternoon.  Poor Caleb came down with a nasty stomach flu, so they decided to stay in Kansas City.  I was planning to cook for them and Michelle has a gluten allergy, therefore we had a gluten free meal that night in honor of Michelle.  I found the recipe in the August Cooking Light when the garden was in full swing and we had alot of yellow squash flowers.  Little did I know, just because you see a flower doesn’t mean you’ll get a squash.  Apparently there are boy and girl flowers and only the boy flowers mean you get produce and our plants had 90% girls, much like our household.  I never tried the recipe and broke it out with my store bought yellow squash grown from manly male squash flowers.  I’m so trying not to make some raunchy obvious jokes here.

DSC09628

Summer Squash and Corn Chowder

I wasn’t crazy excited about trying it, but when you have toppers for your soup like this, it’s good incentive.

DSC09627

DSC09631

The girls ate the sour cream and cheese on top, then made crazy Mr. Yuck inspired faces when they got to the actual nutritional part of the soup.  I wasn’t shocked and as an equalizer, I made them some ants on a log as a side.  There are too many times to count where their side dishes make up 95% of their meal, but I still try and remain hopeful.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...