Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 10th, 2011

I just had to go onto all my 2011 posts thus far and change them from “2010” to “2011.”  Apparently my fingers just want to keep on typing 2010 for a bit longer, which does make it confusing, so I am now properly titling things.  Keeping on with my slow cooker good recipe search I found this one in Family Circle (they do a section on slow cooking recipes every month in their magazine).  It was an Indian Spiced Chicken recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3  pounds  boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 2    onions, thinly sliced
  • 3    garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2  cup  golden raisins
  • 1 3/4  teaspoons  garam masala
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1  cup  low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2  cup  plain yogurt
  • 2  tablespoons  cornstarch
  • 1/3  cup  toasted slivered almonds
  • 2  cups  cooked basmati rice (optional)
Directions

Combine chicken, onions, garlic, raisins, 1 teaspoon of the garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper and broth in slow cooker bowl. Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 5 hours on LOW.

In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 3/4 teaspoon garam masala, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the yogurt and cornstarch. Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm.

Whisk yogurt mixture into slow cooker bowl and cover; cook an additional 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir in almonds and serve sauce with chicken over rice, if desired.

I swapped out 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts for the 3 lbs of chicken thighs, added a little more of the garam masala,  and a can of chick peas.

DSC00155

Girls dinner.  They loved the rice and toasted almonds, but not so much the stew.

DSC00156

Trent’s dinner, he didn’t like the raisins.

DSC00157

Mine (I do love me some chives as a garnish).  I loved it, but no point in making a big meal like this just for myself while watching my family sulk at the first sight of their plate, so unfortunately, the recipe’s new home is the recycling container.  But I would recommend the recipe to someone who likes indian inspired fare.

1 comment:

Trent said...

I liked the dish...just without the raisins.

I really like how you've been using almonds quite a bit lately - they're great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...