Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 16th, 2011

Growing up my Grandma Coco made this fantastic potato salad she served at Easter and barbecues.  It was a mayonnaise based potato salad with eggs and celery.  She always served it in this yellow bowl with a white interior.  She also served her green salads in the bowl.  I completely forgot about this bowl until I was at an Estate Sale with the girls and saw the exact same yellow bowl for sale and it all came flooding back to me, the many tasty dishes served to me in that bowl.  I almost bought it, but then thought it was possible my Grandpa Coco still had it and would be willing to pass it on to me so I would have THE bowl.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t sure what happened to it, but if he found it he would gladly give it to me.  Fast forward a couple months and I was at another Estate Sale (I love going to estate sales on Friday afternoon with the girls!) and I found the yellow bowl again!!  AND it came with a little blue bowl with the same style.  I snatched that puppy up and was so excited lightening struck twice!

Saturday was my prep day to get all my Easter meal contributions done.

DSC00828

Grandma’s potato salad!  I found out there’s no written recipe, but Cathy and my mom walked me through it with Grandma’s little tricks. 

DSC00829

And it’s in her (well, not HER’S, but the exact same) yellow bowl.  Seeing it all done was a flashback to my childhood and put a big smile on my face.  Never would I think a bowl could make me so happy.

DSC00835

DSC00836

I also made the deviled eggs. 

DSC00865

I also made Grandma Coco’s recipe for braided easter bread with eggs.  It was my first time making this and I didn’t put the eggs in the dough enough, 2 fell off in the oven.  There wasn’t a recipe for the bread either and I’m not good at coming up with baking recipes on the fly.  But thankfully a couple days ago I found the exact recipe on a blog I love.  Her recipes and pictures are beautiful.  Here’s her Easter Bread:

She does little individual one, aren’t they beautiful and cheery?  She’s also really good at walking you through all the steps with pictures and including a printer ready recipe.

The girls helped me the afternoon and we dyed the eggs for the Easter Bread.

DSC00838  

DSC00839

DSC00841

DSC00843

We are ready, bring on the Easter fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great bread and potato salad. It made me think of good food and my sister!!! I miss her but it is fun to remember her in so many good ways.

Love
DAD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...