Friday, May 13, 2011

May 4th, 2011

DSC00945

I love Cooking Light and if I’m using a recipe, 80% of the time it’s inspired by Cooking Light.  Many of their recipes going into my recipe binder and are repeated.  Last March there was a recipe for Jerk rubbed Catfish with Spicy Slaw and I loved it.  You can put it together under 20 minutes and tastes great.  I even blogged about it before and sometimes make just the slaw for a side dish.  I normally substitute whatever mild fish has a good price for the catfish, today it was tilapia. 

For the rice, I boil it in chicken stock with granulated garlic, salt, and a pat of butter.  The girls THANKFULLY love it and Lauren loves tilapia, sans the jerk seasoning. 

DSC00948

When I was making this meal I remember being especially sad.  This was on a Wednesday and on that Monday our 10 year old blind dog, Elson, jumped the fence and went missing.   We live next to 2 busy streets and an area of land that has never been developed with multiple creeks.  I was shocked we hadn’t heard from anyone who spotted him.  He had a collar with our address, microchip, and we filed multiple reports with all the recommended agencies.  He’s a very gentle dog, but lets just say he wasn’t blessed in the brains department and being blind has just highlighted that exponentially.  Many people call Elson our big hot mess dog, appropriately so.  But he’s our dog and I was worried and missed him.  Thankfully the story has a happy (and very Elson-like comical) ending.  Stay tuned! 

To get a full appreciation of why we were so worried, here’s a peak into our life with Elson.  We went to the Ozarks in December for an extended weekend and our friend, Ryan, took care of Elson at our house.  He posted a video on facebook highlighting his trials and tribulations with Elson.  I could seriously have a blog dedicated to just Elson stories and I think people would think it was fiction. 

1 comment:

Trent said...

It's one of those situations where - yes he's a big hot mess but he's OUR big hot mess and we're thankful for that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...