Friday, July 1, 2011

June 22nd, 2011

A spectacular gift of summer is basil.  Love love love having it fresh in our yard.  And boy do we have it.  Last year my basil was a victim of a fungus that was going around St. Louis (I hate the word fungus).  My dad graciously shared his basil with me, so I didn’t miss out on the basil party.  I bought some at Missouri Botanical Garden Herb Sale in April and asked the ladies there how to avoid the F word with my basil and they said don’t plant it in the same spot. Seemed logical and easy. 

IMG_0503

And this is just a third of it.  Also have 3 plants from seeds my parents smuggled brought back from Italy that are still in the pre-teen stage of their life.  Knock on wood they stay healthy!  I decided pesto was in order.  I made it ahead in the morning and had it waiting for me when I returned from the pool with the girls.  I also had a special treat, fresh pasta!!  Dinner was a boiled pot of water away.

IMG_0459

Pesto is really easy.  I remember when my Grandma Coco made it I thought it was this magical process that required much time and patience.  Nope.  Just blend the basil with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and some sort of nut.  Traditionally pine nuts are the preferred ingredient, but I use walnuts.  They are cheaper and it’s what my dad and Grandma Coco use, so when in Rome, use walnuts.

IMG_0444

IMG_0445

The ratio is very forgiving and a matter of taste.  I like a kick, so I add 2 or 3 garlic cloves and probably a teaspoon of black pepper.  I also like mine a little thicker, so I add less olive oil.  But really once you make it, you’ll know how you like it.  People also add parmesan cheese to pesto in the food processor, but I don’t because I’ll add a ton before serving.

IMG_0451

Presto, it’s pesto!

IMG_0467

IMG_0469

2 comments:

Ryan said...

love 'Presto. It's Pesto!' That's golden.

Trent said...

Getting hungry reading this....love your pesto!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...