Monday, October 10, 2011

September 13th, 2011

I can’t keep it a secret anymore, it’s just too overwhelming.  My husband has a thing for sandwiches.  He can’t help it and it’s been like this since the day I met him.  If he goes out to lunch, 98% of the time he’ll order a sandwich (1% of the time he’ll order a wrap, especially if it’s a buffalo chicken wrap, 1% of the time he’ll order a salad…and 100% of the 1% it’s the Asian chicken salad from St Louis Bread Company).  I pack his lunch most of the time.  I’ll pack soups, pastas….whatever leftovers from dinner the night before.  Whenever we don’t have any leftovers, I’ll pack him a sandwich or wrap of some sort, mostly involving deli turkey, cheese, and mustard.  Those are the days I will get an email around 1 pm that says something like this “wow babe, lunch was great today, thanks!”  I have to admit, it’s pretty cute how excited he gets over sandwiches. 

If I had to rate his favorite sandwiches, it would go something like this:

1. buffalo chicken sandwich

2. Authentic Cajun Shrimp Po’ Boy

3. French dip sandwich with cheese

4. Hamburger (preferably with blue cheese and bacon)

5. Italian Meat Sandwich (preferably hot)

6. Reuben

7. Cuban

8. Pulled Pork

9. Barbecue Grilled Chicken sandwich (with melted cheese)

Lately turkey clubs have been making appearances on his plate, so they’ve got a shot at top ten too.  Also every time the server brings him his sandwich he will look down at it and ask the server to bring him some mustard (except sandwich #1). 

For dinner tonight, we are concentrating on dear #6. 

IMG_2041

For my reuben sauce, I don’t use thousand island dressing.  Mostly because I would only use it for reuben sandwiches and I probably only make them a handful of times a year.  Also making it yourself is easy and you get to pick the ratio.  I do equal parts relish, ketchup, and mayo.

IMG_2043

Sometimes I’ll buy pastrami or turkey pastrami, but most of the times I just use regular smoked turkey breast from the deli.  I also go crazy with the sauerkraut.  I stuff as much as I can into the sandwich.

IMG_2044

Medium high heat on the skillet (or you can use a panini press).

IMG_2045

IMG_2047

IMG_2048

If I had an old school dinner bell outside by my front door, this would be the perfect time to ring it.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

That Trent is a wise, wise man...

Trent said...

I gotta say - you definitely hit the target with this one! You're right about my love for a good sandwich and I completely agree with your top ten! Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...