Thursday, January 5, 2012

November 27th, 2011

Brussel Sprouts…farm to table.

I wanted to winterize two of the raised beds.  After a summer of disappointing garden results, I wanted to give a boost to the dirt before things freeze and go into dirt hibernation for the winter.

IMG_2982

Leaves.  We have a TON of leaves.  We corralled some and made a little leave blanket over the soil.  Then covered it with sphagnum peat moss.  Nighty night 3rd bed.  As a little experiment I also sprinkled some lettuce seeds on top.  Let’s see come March if I have a little garden starting!

IMG_2983

The middle raised bed was lucky, it was the recipient of a finished composter ready to be put out and do its magic.  We put a layer of leaves between the dirt and the compost.  We have more than enough leaves to go around.

IMG_2984

Right now this bed is my favorite.  It still houses many herbs.  It is pure fun to go outside in November to clip fresh rosemary, thyme, tarragon, and oregano.  Another little gift in this garden is the huge amount of brussel sprouts ready for harvest.

IMG_2985

IMG_2986

I pulled up two big stalks, big fellas!

IMG_2994

IMG_2992

It took a good 20 minutes to get all those little suckers off the stalk.  My hands were the victims in this process.

IMG_2998

Cleaned, prepped, ready to go!

I am a huge fan of roasting brussel sprouts (I also am dying to try them in a frittata, but that’s still on my list).  I diced up about 2-3 slices of raw bacon.   I then put brussel sprouts, diced bacon, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic spread out on a cookie sheet nice and even.  Roast until golden brown at 385 degrees.  You don’t need any oil because as the bacon cooks it will add yummy bacon goodness to the party.  I just used the smaller brussel sprouts on the stalk.  If you have bigger ones, half them and put the cut side face down on the baking sheet.

IMG_3001

Sweet, crunchy, and healthy.  Yumminess in a bowl!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...