Monday, April 2, 2012

March 4th, 2012

So I gave up sweets for Lent.  Some days it’s easy, some days it’s not so easy.  I decided on Sundays I’m going to eat some sort of sweet treat I would rarely allow myself to make or eat.  And with absolutely no guilt.  Trent and I were at a trivia night with friends and one of the girls in our group brought homemade snicker bars for everyone.  They were insanely delicious.  She said she got the recipe from Pinterest and I promptly looked up the recipe the next morning.  There were many, many variations.  Some had butterscotch in them which for some reason my stomach is not a fan, so I ditched those.  Others called for 2 sticks of butter which I thought unnecessary when I’m already combining chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, and a caramel.  I combined a couple recipes into one and the results were delicious. 

IMG_3700

This is the second layer, probably the most fun one to make and watch harden.  Making candy bars is fun stuff!  It does have many steps and layers, but the results are worth it.

IMG_3701

First layer of chocolate melted with peanut butter with the nougat 2nd layer.

IMG_3713

End result with the 3rd layer of caramel and 4th layer of chocolate melted with peanut butter.

IMG_3714

I had a family of happy taste testers.

Here’s the recipe:

1st layer:

Combine 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips with 1/2 cup peanut butter. Melt together (I used a double broiler). Spread in a greased 9 x 12 pan and let cool.

2nd layer:

Combine 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of butter. Boil 5 minutes, then add 1/4 cup of peanut butter, 1 1/2 cups of marshmallow cream, and 1 1/2 cups of chopped dry roasted peanuts. Let cool.

3rd layer:

Melt together 40 kraft caramels and 4 tbsp of heavy cream (I used fat free half and half and it was fine)

4th layer is the same as 1st layer.  Let cool and cut into squares.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...