Monday, February 15, 2010

February 11th, 2010

Lauren’s favorite vegetable dish is stuffed artichoke.  When it’s all said and done, little veggie gets in her belly, which is probably why it’s her favorite.  My mom used to make stuffed artichokes all the time and Julie and I always looked forward to them as our appetizer.  It’s easy, let me show you!

DSC06180

That is my herbed bread crumbs I keep in a big container in the freezer.  Whenever I have a little bit of herbs leftover (or I’m lucky enough to be in the middle of summer and the herb garden is in full swing), I pureed them with store bought plain breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper.  I use thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage, chives, whatever I have around on its last leg.  I use the herbed breadcrumbs for meatballs, coating chicken or fish, and stuffed artichokes. 

DSC06181

Then I put the breadcrumbs in all the leaves of the artichoke.  After I’ve stuffed the artichoke with breadcrumbs, I sprinkle a little parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.  Put an inch or two of water in the bottom of a sauce pan, then set the artichokes in heat proof dishes.  Get the water in a slow boil and cook for about 2 hours until the leaves pull away easily.

DSC06182

Then serve!

DSC06199

Once you’ve eaten all the stuffed leaves, you can cut off the bottom and eat the heart too, which is actually the veggie part.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...