Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 4th, 2010

The girls are both sick, Trent’s in trial, weather is cold and yucky…my mind turns to soup.  Whenever I make soup, I almost always use chicken or beef stock.  I buy beef stock, but make chicken stock and keep it in the freezer.  I save ends of veggies (like carrot tops, asparagus stems, parsley stems, onion skins, broccoli stems, etc) and chicken bones.  Then when I have a couple of gallon bags full, I cook them in water (adding salt and pepper) and viola – stock!DSC06146

The stocks a’ boilin’!

Then I get this:

DSC06147

Once it’s cooled I put it in freezer containers and then I have it on hand for gravy, cooking polenta or rice, or soups.  Truth be told, it’s not as good as the stock in the box at the store since there’s no raw meat poaching in it, but it’s free and accessible.

I made a chicken meatball, pasta, and kale soup and boy did I make a ton, so I sent Trent to deliver some to Grandpa Coco because he’s the cutest thing in the world.

1 comment:

Trent said...

It was a spin on wedding soup and very delicious! Plus the house smells great when you make stock! Grandpa Coco was quite happy when I told him what I had brought over!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...