Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 28th, 2010

I had a package of wheat berries in the pantry from our CSA for months.  My sister is in love with them and cooks wheat berry salads all the time.  I thought they were one of the Superfoods, but they aren’t (which is good since I have been highly deficient and depriving my family of their benefits).  Anyway, I saw a recipe for a Wheat Berry salad in Cooking Light and thought it was time to man up and cook the darn things.

DSC06596

This is what they looked like once I drained them.  I’ve seen yummier looking things in my life…

DSC06601

This is my wheat berry salad.  You’re supposed to top it with goat cheese, but it was still hot and I didn’t want the cheese to melt. 

DSC06606

I also roasted chicken with salt, pepper, and lemon zest.

DSC06607

And made a spinach salad with peas. (spinach is a superfood by the way, I just found that out too, yay learning)

DSC06609

So there it is altogether.  I think my thing with wheat berries is they have the texture of rice that hasn’t been cooked long enough.  A few years ago, my thing was my rice was never cooked enough (crunchy rice is never fun) or it was mushy, so whenever I eat wheat berries I think I messed them up, but I’m told that’s how they are supposed to be.  Once I get over that, I think I can have a meaningful relationship with them.  The girls were not fans, even when I pointed out they had raisins and nuts in them.  But it took me 34.5 years to give them a good natured try and I’m still on the fence.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...