Friday, June 10, 2011

May 20th, 2011

So last night my father in law, Kirk, drove to St. Louis with his kind friend, Curt.  Curt and Kirk (say that 3 times fast!) are going to stay at our house for 3 days and 3 nights.

DSC01018

DSC01020

First thing they did this morning was put a big giant hole where our paint peeling, ugly, tacky double doors were.  Good thing we had a pretty door ordered and waiting to replace it in the garage.

DSC01019

DSC01021

Buh bye old tackiness!!!  Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. ;)

DSC01025

Watching and listening to Kirk and Curt work is pretty darn cute.  They are like an old married couple speaking their own language.  They are bickering over something one minute, consulting with each other the next, and cracking jokes or high fiving their fabulousness the next.  They are also equally thorough as all getup.  This is a good thing, no blemishes are tolerated on their watch. 

As if replacing a front door wasn’t enough on their plate, another project to get done this weekend is to replace our panty.  Our hall closet turned ghetto make shift panty by previous, previous owners contact paper with random vegetables covered shelves.

DSC01027

Pantry I’ve been using since April 2004.  No bueno.  Almost a third of the pantry is dedicated to a……trash can?  And check out my platter storage system.  State of the art.

DSC01030

DSC01029

My shelf for baking goods.  A couple times a year I would clean it out only to find I had 3 containers of oats, some pancake mix leftover from a brunch we hosted months ago, and I need to ask my mom for more yeast because my stored stash has a tablespoon left.  A gnome could be hiding back there living off of rye flour and I’d have no idea.

DSC01033

Even completely empty it looks jenky.  The bar going across was leftover from this space’s days of being a hall closet. 

DSC01034

DSC01032

My fancy schmany way of storing potatoes and onions.  This system drove Trent absolutely nuts for some reason, in fact this bag could have very well been the driving force for a new pantry.

So we have a pantry-less pantry and a big hole in the wall to greet guests to our home.  Stayed tuned to the finished product.  Until then the girls and I had 3 hungry men to feed!

DSC01039

The girls had a front row seat to watch all the action.  I had to pry them away coaxing them to “help” me to get them out of the way of Kirk and Curt hard at work.

DSC01037

The girls shucking corn.  One of their favorite kitchen chores. 

DSC01041

Trent got home from work and hung out with Kirk and Curt.  Time for the men to relax after a long day of work.  Cigars, beer, and banter.

DSC01042

Dinner on the grill.  My favorite.  I get to listen to the boy’s conversation, watch the girls play, and keep watch on dinner.  I made corn on the cob, grilled bread, veggies, and honey mustard rosemary boneless chicken thighs.

We ate outside that night and had a fantastic evening after a good, productive day.  Work hard, play hard, my kind of day.

4 comments:

Trent said...

Hilarious!! I think you're right about the onion and potato bags - those things drove me crazy!! Great pictures of the progress and the girls! Fun!

Sally said...

So, so much fun to read! Kirk and I went through it this morning together-what a great way to start the day-lots of laughs! Lots of great memories for Kirk. :) So glad that you are happy with everything.
Love you,
Sally

sally said...

Curt LOVED his Red Pepper Jelly-that was so sweet of you!
By the way, did I by any chance leave my lime green shorts in St. Louis? They're that thin material. I think I got them at Piragis.
Love you, Jenny,
Sally

Kirk a.k.a. "Grandad" said...

Really great work - as I have said before, "you should have your own show on TV!" Love your dialogue and photos - I had no idea you took so many photos. Heck, you could do a show like "This Old House" along with a cooking and/or "the life of a (really great) stay at home mom" show - even though you obviously DO NOT stay at home all the time. We would have to come up with a better name for "stay at home mom" - it just doesn't define you or other mothers or wannabe mothers like you. Keep up the good work and lets develop a "Business Plan" for your shows. Love, Kirk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...